Thursday, October 2, 2008

Luna Salad


When you are invited to dinner and asked to bring a salad, here is the perfect solution! This salad is always a huge hit.  

12 oz. baby greens
3/4 C. house salad dressing*
1/2 medium red onion
4 oz. gorgonzola or feta cheese
4 oz. dried cranberries
4 oz. caramelized walnuts**

*House Salad Dressing
(This makes enough for two salads)
2 T. fresh-crushed garlic
2 T. Dijon mustard
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 C. white wine vinegar
1 C. olive oil

**Caramelized Walnuts
(This prepares more nuts than the salad calls for so I keep extras stored in an airtight container and use them later)
3/4 C. water
1 C. sugar
1 T. vanilla
1 lb. walnuts

Heat together on low heat. Cook down, stirring every few minutes- this takes about 30 minutes to fully cook down. 

( Just a little hint: Bake the nuts for just a few minutes before cooking them down, it brings out a wonderful toasted nutty flavor.)

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Wait a second! Did you get this from the Davidson cookbook?! I was just looking through mine & recognized the recipe from your blog. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds delicious!

Kristen said...

Yes, I did! Mike G. introduce me to it! Love it and use it all the time!!!!